Question: When I do my high intensity cardio or workout in the morning should I do it on an empty stomach or should I eat before?
Answer: To get the most out of any workout, whether it be weights or cardio or even both combined, you need to eat lightly about 45 minutes to one hour before you exercise. Some people need to eat sooner, but for the majority of us, this will give your body some time to process and digest the food. It will give you the energy you need for your workout. Some fruit, vegetables, oatmeal or whole grain cereal would be good choices for a pre-workout meal. I personally would do a light protein shake with some oatmeal or fruit for a pre-workout meal. This will give your body the nutrition it needs to get you through your workout and not sacrifice muscle. Once digested, these foods will supply carbohydrates for energy without a lot of calories. Avoid foods high in fat, or high protein foods like nuts and legumes this close to your workout. Protein powder is a much better choice. Foods high in fat like nuts or legumes and even milk take longer to digest. Not to mention, milk may find its way back out if you workout hard like all my clients and myself do. Stay away from high calorie or sugary foods like soda and candy. These will add too many calories to your daily diet. If you are hungry at exercise time and can't get to or don't have any protein or oatmeal, choose a piece of fruit or a sports drink to help supplement your workout with energy. If you choose to eat a larger meal, then I would do it earlier in the day as to not make you so full that you feel or get sick during your workout.

No comments:
Post a Comment